The Wayne Farms' roots stem from Allied Mills Inc., a former subsidiary of Continental Grain Company, when the poultry division was spun-off in 1965. With strength and expertise in the poultry business, the company has evolved significantly over the past 40 years and continues to expand in capability and capacity as we grow with our business partners.
A Historical Timeline of Wayne Farms LLC
1895: Marsden Company of Philadelphia organizes Allied Mills Inc.
1898: Marsden Company consolidates its manufacturing of commercial feeds and changes its name to American Milling Company.
1916: D. W. McMillen purchases a small grain elevator in Ft. Wayne, Ind., and begins manufacturing feed called Wayne, named after General Anthony Wayne, a man of courage and daring.
1929: Allied Mills Inc. organizes under the laws of the State of Indiana and soon acquires the Ft. Wayne-based feed businesses previously operated by the American Milling Company and McMillen Company and their predecessors.
1957: Allied Mills constructs a poultry plant in Laurel, Miss.
1961: Allied Mills purchases a poultry plant in Union Springs, Ala., and names it Wayne Farms.
1963: Allied Mills purchases a second poultry plant from the Alabama Poultry Cooperative Inc. in Albertville, Ala.
1965: Continental Grain Company of New York acquires 51% of the common capital stock of Allied Mills through a tender offer made to the shareholders of Allied and makes the decision to spin off the poultry division. The company is established with two initial locations in Albertville and Union Springs, Ala. At this time, the company focuses on the manufacturing and sale of fresh poultry under the Wayne Farms name.
1967: Allied Mills constructs a third plant in Pendergrass, Ga.
1970: The Allied Mills poultry division completes construction on a plant in Danville, Ark. The division now includes four processing plants and three egg production and processing units.
1976: The company completes construction of a fresh processing plant in Decatur, Ala.
1978: The Continental Grain Company Poultry Division acquires a plant in Dobson, N.C., and begins deboning operations.
1981: Allied Mills Inc. merges into Continental Grain Company.
1985: The Continental Grain Company Poultry Division expands its product base by entering the further processing side of the poultry business. Continental Grain Company acquires the Dutch Quality House name and the first further processing plant, located in Oakwood, Ga. Dutch Quality House originated in Gouda, Netherlands, in 1961.
1991: The Continental Grain Company Poultry Division purchases a plant from Golden West Foods in Bossier City, La.
1994: The Continental Grain Company Poultry Division completes its acquisition of the Enterprise, Ala., location from Southland Foods.
1997: The Continental Grain Company Poultry Division completes its acquisition of the Douglas, Ga., plant from Campbell Soup Company.
1998: The company completes construction of a new processing facility in Decatur, Ala. (now known as Decatur East). This facility opens with two lines.
1999: Continental Grain Company changes its name to ContiGroup Companies, Inc.
2000: The Poultry Division of Continental Grain Company is officially named Wayne Farms LLC.
2002: Wayne Farms LLC acquires a plant located in College Park, Ga.
2005: Wayne Farms LLC sells its Bossier City, La., plant.
2006: Wayne Farms LLC opens its newest further processing facility in Decatur, Ala. (now known as Decatur West).
2008: Wayne Farms LLC closes the College Park, Ga., plant.
2008: ContiGroup Companies, Inc. returns to its original name of Continental Grain Company.
2009: Wayne Farms LLC closes the Douglas, Ga., plant.
2010: Wayne Farms LLC closes the Oakwood, Ga., plant.
2012: Wayne Farms LLC acquires a poultry complex, which includes a processing facility, hatchery and feed mill, in Dothan, Ala.