Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 1/2 Gallon
- Prep Time: 2 ½ - 3 hours
- Calories: 170
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- ½ pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 24 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon gumbo file (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound shredded chicken
- ½ pound frozen sliced okra
- In a large stockpot, add the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until well browned.
- Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Add butter to the stockpot and melt. Add flour, reduce heat and create a medium brown roux (approx. 15-20 minutes).
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Cook stirring constantly until the onions become translucent in color (approximately five minutes).
- Add the sausage, spices, chicken stock, shredded chicken and okra to the stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 ½ hours. Make sure to stir every 10 minutes to prevent scorching on the bottom.
- Remove the three bay leaves and discard. Serve and enjoy!
Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
Gumbo is best served with white rice in chicken stock or New Orleans Pecan Rice. Garnish the top of the rice with an additional dash of Gumbo File powder.