Sweet N’ Savory mango-chicken breakfast sausage
Making your own breakfast sausage may sound a bit daunting, but it’s actually just a handful of ingredients—including fresh chicken of course—and a very simple process you can whip up right at the kitchen counter. Just a few minutes of prep time to make that traditional breakfast side into a true holiday treat…serve hot with your favorite egg or omelette dish, French toast or pancakes…whatever’s on the menu. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons vegetable or avocado oil, divided
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium-sized, finely diced fresh mango
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded red chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 4 tablespoons dehydrated potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat until sizzling hot.
- Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drop the onion into a medium bowl and add the chicken, mango, chile, chives, potato flakes, and salt. Mix everything together really well.
- Form the mixture into 8-10 equal-sized patties or logs. Set them on a plate or a sheet of wax paper. Remember food safety and wash hands and utensils after prep!
- Heat the same skillet or griddle over high heat.
- When the pan is hot, reduce heat to medium and add the reserved 2 tablespoons oil.
- Place the sausage in the pan and sauté until golden-brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes until they are just cooked through.
Pro tip: Shake up the old-school sausage biscuit and try this mango-chicken sausage en’ croute—after prepping and cooking the sausage, wrap a serving-size piece in pastry or biscuit dough and bake it up for a new twist on the a traditional favorite.