Get to know the different parts of the chicken — with some cuts and flavor profiles being better suited to certain recipes and preparations than others.
- Bone-In: Product containing bone.
- Meat: Product not containing bone.
- Skin-On: Product containing skin.
- Skinless: Product not containing skin.
- Whole Muscle: Raw, boneless, skinless meat that has not been chopped, ground, or cut into a particular shape.
- Trimmed: Product where fat has been removed.
- WOGs: The whole bird without giblets.
- Giblets: Refers to the neck, heart, liver and gizzard of the chicken.
Refers to the front half of a bird including the breasts, tenderloins, and wings.
- Butterfly Breast: A whole, boneless chicken breast. May or may not contain skin.
- Breast: Half of a whole, chicken breast containing bone. May or may not contain skin.
- Breast Fillet: Half of a whole, boneless and skinless chicken breast.
- Tenderloins: The portion on either side of the breastbone that separates the breast from the sternum.
- Whole Wings: The portion composed of the drumette, mid-section and wing tip.
- Drumettes: The portion of the wing between the shoulder and the elbow.
- Mid-Section: The portion of the wing between the elbow and tip. Also referred to as flats.
- Wing Tips: The portion on the wing attached to the mid-section.
Refers to the back half of a bird including the thighs, legs and feet.
- Quarter Legs: The entire portion on the leg (thigh and drumstick) and one-half of the spine attached.
- Whole Legs: The portion of the leg containing the thigh and the drumstick.
- Leg Meat: The boneless, skinless portion of the leg containing the thigh and the drumstick.
- Drumsticks: The lower portion of the leg quarter between the knee joint and hock.
- Thighs: The portion of the leg above the knee joint.
- Thigh Meat: The boneless portion of the leg above the knee joint. May come with or without skin.
- Feet: The lower leg and foot portion with skin and nails removed.
- Paws: The foot portion only with skin and nails removed.